Youth Suicide Awareness Page
Pursuant to Section 170.048, RSMo, the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) developed a model policy regarding youth suicide awareness and prevention. This model policy may be adopted by Missouri school districts to meet the requirements of Section 170.048, RSMo which provides as follows:
- By July 1, 2018, each district shall adopt a policy for youth suicide awareness and prevention, including plans for how the district will provide for the training and education of its district employees.
- Each district's policy shall address, but not be limited to, the following:
(1) Strategies that can help identify students who are at possible risk of suicide;
(2) Strategies and protocols for helping students at possible risk of suicide; and
(3) Protocols for responding to a suicide death.